Parenting and relationship support, free across London*
‘Building Relationships for Stronger Families’ programme may be able to help you if you feel that stress and conflict in your relationship is affecting your family.
The programme offers parents free support (currently in seven London boroughs), via a helpful course of support selected to suit their circumstances to address conflict within their relationship as well as strengthening your parenting skills to bring up your children.
What is it all about?
Being a parent is tough.
Being a parent can be challenging – but when your relationship with your partner, or your ex-partner, isn’t going well it’s even tougher.
- There are times when we are all under stress but while conflict is part of family life for everyone, sometimes difficulties between parents – whether they are living together or have separated - can get in the way of being able to manage life at your best.
- If you are experiencing conflict with your partner, or your ex-partner, there may be a lack of warmth or emotional connection between you, or rows and arguments that get stuck or become out of control; you might find that these happen often and are hard to sort out by yourselves.
- Whether together or separated, how we interact with each other as parents has a big impact on our children.
- Research shows us that conflict between parents can have a negative effect on children’s development – on their mental and physical health, problems at school, sleep difficulties and the relationships they themselves make as they grow up.
How Does Parental Conflict Affect Children?
You can watch our video here about why this programe helps with the issues that couples arguing can cause for children:
More about the programme
The programme offers parents support to suit their circumstances to address conflict within their relationship as well as strengthening your parenting skills to bring up your children.
Support takes the form of one to one or group sessions delivered by experienced facilitators who are skilled in encouraging discussion around the modern struggles that parents and couples face.
During the programme, you will work on your relationship, whether you are together or separate, and find ways to manage stresses and disagreements, exploring patterns of behaviour and tools and techniques to improve your parenting skills and help your family succeed.
You can read a blog from Honor Rhodes on why this work is so important here.
For Practitioners/Referrers - If you are working with couples or families in one of the boroughs offering this help you can find out how to refer here.
This service is only on offer to residents and those who access services in the following London boroughs: Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea, Camden, Hammersmith & Fulham, Croydon, Brent and Lambeth.
Courses are free and, where possible, support will be offered in your home or in your local community. Programmes are open to all eligible parents, mothers and fathers, same-sex parents are there are tailored opportunities for couples who are together in a relationship or those who are separated.
This is a DWP funded programme.
How can I get the help?
You can enquire about the programme here:
What can I expect?
We will contact you and fill out some more detailed information with you both.
The programmes offer:
• Support that is proven to improve relationships
• Support that is tailored to you
• A supportive and experienced professional
• Delivered at a time and place to suit you
• A quick response
Parents are encouraged to commit fully to the course in order to gain the most benefit.
Sessions range from individual, one-on-one, to group sessions between 8 to 12 parents depending on your particular needs. Creche facilities are not routinely available but may be offered if there is enough demand.